Packed with nutrition, the health benefits of pumpkin make them more than just a seasonal favorite.
While you might love a slice of mom’s pumpkin pie or a pumpkin spice latte from the corner coffee shop when the temperatures begin to drop, pumpkin is more – much more – than simply a seasonal treat. We love pulling pumpkins into our clients’ personal chef services to pack their fall menus full of nutrients and healthy ingredients.
Potential Plusses: The Health Benefits of Pumpkin
It’s not just that pumpkins are incredibly nutritious, packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, they also provide a growing number of other benefits.
- Pumpkins are full of beta carotene, which may help your body fight off some forms of cancer (such as prostate and lung cancer).
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in phytosterols, which studies have shown reduce LDL or “bad” cholesterol.
- And research indicates the carotenoids in pumpkin help lower the risk of metabolic syndrome, a cluster of conditions that put you at risk for stroke, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
- The high iron content helps strengthen your immune system. The potassium boosts muscle function, fiber aids digestion, and other nutrients (vitamins A, C, and E, zinc, lutein, and zeaxanthin) promote healthy eyes.
- And eating pumpkin seeds might even give your mood a lift as the tryptophan in them contributes to serotonin production.
Looking for ways to integrate pumpkin into your diet? Click here to download The Pickled Beet’s Pumpkin Spice recipe below to use in baked goods, chilis, stews, homemade vanilla ice cream, and anything else you want!
Potential Minuses: When You Should Avoid Pumpkin
Even with all the potential health benefits of pumpkin, some people may avoid consuming pumpkin products altogether.
The otherwise immensely healthy food is a mild diuretic, and in rare cases, can be an allergen. Still, for most people, the only pumpkin products to avoid are those with minimal amounts of pumpkin and an abundance of sugar.
We’re looking at you, pumpkin spice latte.
If you’d like to incorporate the health benefits of pumpkin into your diet, you’ve arrived at the perfect place. Our personal chef services offer pumpkins and countless other nutritious and delicious foods into tasty and healthy recipes for our Miami clients. We work with individuals, couples, and families to find flavorful, healthy meals to best fuel their bodies no matter what nutritional requirements might be part of the equation.