We love this superfood duo of kale and butternut squash. For added super powers, sprinkle some turmeric and ginger on the squash before roasting.
Roasted Butternut Squash Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 24 ounces lacinato kale, washed, dried, thick stems removed and leaves torn
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (or sub golden raisins when not in season)
Preheat the oven to 375. Peel and dice the butternut squash. Place it on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on it, enough to lightly coat. Sprinkle kosher or sea salt, black pepper on it. You can also add antiinflammatory spices such as ginger, turmeric, or cinnamon. Roast for 30 minutes, turning once, until the squash starts to carmelize on the outside and is soft on the interior.
Toast the walnuts for 5-10 minutes, watching them closely. Nuts burn quickly.
Prep kale by washing, drying, removing the thick stems, and tearing into bite sized pieces.
Make dressing by whisking together ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour a little dressing in the bottom of a large salad bowl. Add the kale and massage with your hands. The dressing will start to break down the kale. Add the squash, more dressing, and top with nuts, cheese, and fruit.