Are you looking for a way to give out Halloween treats without the tricks caused by allergies?
Avoiding Allergens on All Hallows’ Eve
For some kids, the scariest thing on Halloween isn’t the ghouls and goblins they might encounter, but the candy that’s placed in their treat bag. Sadly, some of the most common food allergens (dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, and soy) are commonly found in many candies.
Here are our not-so-scary top tips for what to give to Trick-or-Treaters on Halloween.
Tasty Treats of the Allergen-Free Kind
- Dum Dums – These basic lollipops do not include tree nuts, peanuts (or peanut by-products), eggs, or dairy products – and kids love ‘em.
- Ring Pops – Also free of major allergens, this candy also is a must-have fashion accessory for the candy-couture set.
- Jelly Belly Jelly Beans – Seemingly endless flavor varieties, but short on allergens.
- Skittles – Taste the Major-Allergen-Free Rainbow.
- Smarties – Really smart when trying to avoid allergens.
- Starburst – This chewy favorite sometimes sticks to dental work, but doesn’t include major allergens.
- Swedish Fish – They may or may not actually be from Sweden, but this international sensation avoids allergens in its global Halloween travels.
One word of caution with all of these candies, though: Remember to carefully check the labels as ingredients and manufacturing processes may change over time.
Of course, perhaps the safest option is to give out small, inexpensive trinkets or toys.
Some perennial faves:
Miniature pinball games
Not All Pumpkins Are Orange
Let parents know it’s safe to bring their little ones trick-or-treating at your house by displaying a teal-colored pumpkin. This indicates that you are handing out allergen-friendly options. Better yet, join in the Teal Pumpkin Project https://www.foodallergy.org/education-awareness/teal-pumpkin-project and hand them out yourself so all kids can enjoy a safe Halloween.
The Pickled Beet doesn’t provide Halloween candy, but we do work with individuals, couples, and families to find meals that are flavorful, healthy, and best fuel the body so that eating right is never a scary thing. Contact us for a free consultation.